IKFF

Monday, June 16, 2008

ANSWER TO A QUESTION


“Hi friend I underwent open heart surgery last year - I am 55 year old male - Can I go to Gym - I did try some iron five years back for six months. Of course my doc is against it. I just want your opinion. If you can post it in your blog I will read it.”

Above is a question received by RANGARAJAN A L. Well RANGARAJAN A L, I guess if you want a simple yes or no answer, that is not going to happen. You say your doctor is against it, ask him/her why, they may have a real concern, of course they may just be “old school”. If you’re not happy with the answer you can always get a 2nd opinion [I’m not a Dr…nor do I play one on TV]. Of course you still may not like what you hear, and they may have a good reason for it. What caused the surgery? Was it a hereditary type of condition? Are there still complications? Was it caused by lifestyle choice? If so have you changed them?{Diet, Smoking, Stress, etc...} If not, make them first. Then if everything I have mentioned is taken care of you can choose to go to a gym. Remember you will be starting something new, you mentioned you ONLY did SOME iron 5 years ago for only 6 months, so get a trainer. Get a trainer with experience dealing with recovering heart surgery patients, they will know what your limitations are and what to be observing. Weight training can be a great supplemental tool on your road to recovery. Remember it is your choice as to what you do, I believe you want to be here a while longer or you wouldn’t have asked a question, so listen to the doctors and when you are ready, the weights will be there!
NOTE:Again I am not a Doctor

Here is a link with some answers.
HEART SURGERY RECOVERY

No comments: