IKFF

Monday, December 10, 2007

Vince Delmonte's newsletter

Here is a copy of what was in Vince Delmonte's last email. I think these are some good observations!
Here are some things I noticed:1. I watched one fellow attempt his last rep and immediately give up without a TRUE fight...
I would have kept pushing the weights for at least 3-4 seconds even if they were not moving to add extra tension to my muscles.
2. I watched one young guy, doing barbell bicep curls, get to his last few reps and just let the weight collapse back down...
I would have worked the "negative" (down portion) and resisted as much as possible to CONTROL the weights, not let the weights control me.
3. I watched a group of guys walk from outside, right pass the cardio equipment, and go right into a cold set of bench press which appeared to be a heavy weight for them.
I would have warmed up with some sort of cardio for 5-10 minutes, performed some stretching and then down my shoulder stabilizer exercises before going into ANY heavy lifting.
4. I watched a young girl, with this massive weight belt on her waist, get spotted by a bodybuilder juiced to the max spotting her for 5 lb lateral raises while they both rocked together...
I would have never put a weight belt on anybody in the first place.
5. I watched one guy stand in the middle of the gym floor with his hands behind his back and just watched people work out...No comment...
6. I watched more people doing machines than free weights...
This is not right or wrong, but in my opinion, whatever your goals, I would go with MORE free weights 90% of the time.
7. I watched one guy doing bent over rows with his back completely rounded in a C.
I would be standing perpendicular to the mirror and making sure my back was so straight that you could rest drinks on it. I would also start saving up money to pay for my physiotherapist next European vacation because this is great way to blow a disc in your back!
8. I can't count how many people I saw WITHOUT any sort of liquid, not even water to stay hydrated.
I almost sip on my Workout drink so I have a steady stream of proteins and carbs going to my muscles while I train. Bare minimum, I ALWAYS drink at least 1 L of water throughout the span of my workout. You lose 20% of your strength from training dehyrdated.
9. I am guilty of this too, especially when I'm leaning down after a bulking phase, but it's amazing to see how often people stare at themselves in the mirror when they workout.Yes, during a set, watch yourself in the mirror. Watch for perfect form. But in between sets, go for a walk, sit down AWAY from the mirror, start mentally preparing for you next set, stand up and stretch your muscles but don't lose track of your rest period by admiring the pump you just achieved in your last set! No Nonsense Newsletter click here!

No comments: