IKFF

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Need a hug?


I know you are wondering how that fits here!
Well I am going to explain, doing the 7 minute workout, I decided to use weights, kettlebells, and my sandbag. So for leg work I decided to try and add bear hug squats. I am not sure if that is what they are called but they are now.
So what is a bear hug squat?
You take your sand bag, mine is filled with @125lbs right now, and I’ll comment on that in a moment, and you straddle the bag. Bend down, bending your knees, grab the bag with both arms, pull it up, and hug it to your chest. I grab, I mean hug, it below the ½ way point so more is on top when I stand up. Maintain a straight back and squat up and down while hugging the sandbag. I know the 125lbs might not seem like a lot, I know I thought it would be light, but let me tell you it is tough! [ I normally can do reps at 405 on a bar] My legs are wobbly today, and my upper body has a great pumped feeling to it! This is truly a fullbody workout it self, go out and give it a try.

1 comment:

Cuban Pete said...

Yep, I know the Bear Squat well! Definitely a beast! I like the fact they work much like a Squat and an Olympic-style Good Morning Combined...the weight being away from the center of gravity really works the erector spinae and the rhomboids! Check out Big Mamma on my site (a navy duffle bag I stuff with upwards of 300lbs):
Sandbag Training is Awesome!!!

Keep up the good work!