IKFF

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Get up, get up, get down...

Being this is the “Fullbody Workouts” blog I figured I do a piece on one of the best but least used exercises that incorporate the whole body. I am talking about the “Turkish Get up” [tgu]. I learned how to do them a while ago, liked doing them but let them fall along the wayside, until I started doing “Kettlbell Burn 2.0”. Now I wonder why I stopped.

Doing TGU’s is difficult, but not impossible, at first. I was going to go into great detail, but, I happened to be emailed a link to a video which will greatly explain how to safely do the TGU. Before trying this exercise what the video

To begin you start lying on the ground with the kettlebell on your side [ left side for this discussion], @ ½ between your elbow and shoulder. Roll over to your left side in a sort of fetal position, grab the bell with both hands and roll on to your back, the bell should be in a position to press it perpendicular to the floor, use both hands, especially in the beginning to avoid injury. Bend your left leg, like you were going to do a crunch. Right leg straight [un-bent] to the side slightly. Your right arm should be flat on the ground almost parallel to your right leg. Pack your left shoulder. You will come up onto your right elbow, then hand, firing your left lat and right glute. All while keeping the bell going upward. {Pause at each step for control} Push down onto the ground with your right hand, thrust your hips into a bridge. Swing your right leg back on to your knee, sort of wiper blade your food straight behind you, into a bottom portion of a lunge then lunge upward, remember the bell is over head {Pause at each step for control}….reverse all this on the way down.

If this isn’t clear, beleave me the video will clear it all up..




I hope that clears it up.

Bottom line it is a tremendous exercise and should be added safely to your repetouir [spelling??].

Remember it is also great if you are short on time, try and do as many as you can in 20 minutes, log it and do more next time!!!

No comments: